Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Next to Me by Emeli Sande ~ A Musical Analysis 2

 "Next to Me by Emeli Sande"



Information 

Here is another song that had caught my attention immediately! I was working on a slideshow for my wedding anniversary, and this was a perfect fit. I've been blessed to have a husband who has been next to me since day one! Our relationship definitely fits in with the words for this song!

Next to Me is in the genre of R & B. Next to Me was composed in February of 2012 by a Scottish singer Emeli Sande and co-written by Hugo Chegwin, Harry Craze, and A. K. Paul. She wrote this song because all the men in her life have been loyal to her. Those men would include her dad, her manager, and her finance. This song spread across the world, first in Scotland, which made it to the #1 top charts and by April, was in the top 100s in the United States, Billboard Hot 100. There is no doubt that this song was a financial success because it has made the top 100 countries.

Lyrics

The lyrics again are universal because anyone from anywhere across the world can resonate with the story she tells in her song. According to song facts, in 2013 at the Ivor Novello Awards, this song was named the best song musically and lyrically, which I am not surprised! The lyrics flow very smoothly! Today, 16 years of marriage, I can still relate to this song, and is still one of my favorites!

Melody

There are a couple instruments played along with the vocal. The devices include the piano, drums, and the guitar. The melody starts off with an upbeat tune of the piano, a few seconds after, the drums, and she then starts singing. This is an upbeat song that immediately puts you in a good mood. The piano and drums are played throughout the song. 

Key Choices

According to Wikipedia, the key choices that are used is A Minor. She uses A Minor throughout the song by adding in some G and C keys during the chorus. 

Chords

According to Ultimate Guitar, the chords played with the guitar are Am, G /B, C, Fmaj7, G, and F. The chords seem a lot more complicated than the other song I chose, which was Control by Zoe Wees. 

Drums

The drums are played throughout the song with an upbeat melody. During the chorus, he just taps his sticks together, and after the ensemble is complete, he picks back up with the drums in an upbeat tune. I could not find the composition of the drums and the sites that I did find I would have to pay to look at the sheet music for the drums. 

Timbre

The contrast of timbre smoothly changes at the chorus. You can clearly hear the beat of the drum change from hitting the drums to hitting the sticks. I was able to clearly hear the difference. With this change, you can clearly hear the vocal, and it grabs your attention even more as if the teacher has gotten everyone's attention, and the students are all listening. I have enjoyed the changes in beats, and the lyrics really have me with this song since it resonates in my marriage!


Sources

4 comments:

  1. Your analysis to this song was spot on, but I would like to add in couple items. I would in the beat to the song right when the drumming starts, there is a beat that keeps the song going throughout the song. The other one I would like to add in the Articulation that Emili sings, she adds in a slight vibrato in each verse, it also increases in the chorus at "next to me" and "ooh ooh". The vibrato makes the song interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hazel,
    I was pleasently surprised when I clicked the play button. This is a beautiful song! I agree with your ananysis and I like how you connected it to what it means to you. It looks like it peaked at #3 on the Billboard charts in 2012. Here is the link for your reference: https://www.billboard.com/music/emeli-sande/chart-history/IDS/song/731912
    Thank you for introducing me to this song!

    ReplyDelete

Final Project

  Music and Society      Music is played in the lives of everyone across the globe of all ages. It seems as though no one can go without mus...