Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Control by Zoe Wees ~ A Musical Analysis

A handful of songs instantly catch my attention and Control by Zoe Wees is one of them! I had dealt with anxiety during my adult life and did not realize what fear was until years later from when I first experienced it. This is why it really caught my attention, and I instantly downloaded the song to my playlist. Anxiety hit after a few tragedies, and I feel at peace the most when I am outdoors.

Zoe Wees is an 18 year old from Hamburg, Germany. The song Control was her first single that spread across the world. I believe it has been a financial success for her if her music teacher quit his job and became her manager, as stated in an interview posted by Notion Magazine. 




Lyrics

Bong Mines Entertainment describes the song as a universal feeling because everyone can relate to the lyrics. I agree with them because a girl from Alaska, all the way across the globe, can relate to these same feelings she describes in her songs. Although they are her own personal feelings, many others feel these same feelings during a certain point in their lives. Knowing she has overcome one of her struggles, the lyrics in her song tell a story and have given many others hope to look forward too in their own time. 

Melody 

There are a couple instruments played in this song, which include the piano and guitar along with vocal. It starts off slow and sad. The intro starts with the piano playing. The piano beat tends to repeat throughout the main choruses.  The piano beats speed up a bit but slows at each chorus. The vocals start out slow as she tells her story. After singing the intro, the guitar is introduced and plays at the same melody as the piano. It was hard for me to hear the guitar at first, but after listening to the song repeatedly to listen for instruments, I was able to listen to it. 

Timbre

The contrast of timbre smoothly changes after each chorus. I was able to hear the subtle change. I have enjoyed the subtle changes, and  I feel the beat has me hooked to the song. 

Chord Choices

The chords are repetitive throughout the whole song. This might actually be easy to learn for a beginner guitarist, such as my son, who is learning to play the guitar! Simple yet great for easy listening. 



Sources

Thomson, Zangba, et al. “Zoe Wees Releases a Lovely Debut Single, Entitled, ‘Control.’” Bong Mines Entertainment, 15 Mar. 2020, www.bongminesentertainment.com/zoe-wees-control/.

“Interview: Taking Control With Zoe Wees: Notion Magazine.” Notion, 22 Sept. 2020, notion.online/taking-control-with-zoe-wees/.

“Zoe Wees - Control (Chords).” Guitar.Com, 16 Apr. 2020, tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/zoe-wees/control-chords-3092408.

2 comments:

  1. I have also heard this song before but I never really took the time to listen to the words she says. In your lyric section you had mentioned that her lyrics give many listening hope to look forward to in their own time and i have to agree with that. She battled her problems and was able to come out on top. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard this song before but it is great!
    It has a very upbeat, beat but the lyrics are more powerful than what the beat and tempo of the song gives off. I loved the lyrics though and would agree others can resonate with her words and experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Final Project

  Music and Society      Music is played in the lives of everyone across the globe of all ages. It seems as though no one can go without mus...