Sunday, November 15, 2020

Music and the Fictive Dream

 Mulan

Background

    Mulan is a fictional story that comes from China. This story was created during the Northern and Southern Dynasties era, during the 4th - 6th century AD. Hua Mulan disguises herself as a man to take her aged father's place who is drafted into the Imperial army.  After battling northern armies, Mulan is honored and offered a higher ranking by the Emporer, but she declines.  She then retires and returns home, without anyone knowing she is a female until she is back home. Everyone is shocked to learn that she was a female. 

    Mulan is an American action drama movie produced by Walt Disney Pictures. This movie is based on the Chinese fictional story of Mulan.  Mulan is directed by Niki Caro, with a screenplay by Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Lauren Hynek, and Elizabeth Martin.  It is also a live-action film adapted from Disney's animated cartoon Mulan created in 1998. The live-action movie began in 2010, but the project stalled until August-November 2018. The film was recorded in New Zealand and China. The Hollywood premiere was supposed to be held on March 9, 2020, but due to the pandemic, the premier and release came out on Disney plus September 4, 2020, with a premium fee.  The DVD release date for the movie was November 10, 2020.  

"Loyal Brave True" From "Mulan" 
Soundtrack version performed and sung by Christina Aguilera
Loyal Brave True was written by Jamie Hartman, Harry Gregson-Williams, Rosi Golan, and Billy Crabtree, and produced by Jamie Hartman.
Released on September 4, 2020

Lyrics
The lyrics are sung at a range of F3-C5. She starts out slow and sings very calmly. The lyrics reflect Mulan the warrior. She is loyal, brave, and true during her time she served in the Imperial Army. The lyrics also flow very easy and here are the lyrics to the song. 

War is not freedom
Over my shoulder
I see a clearer view
All for my family
Reason I'm breathing
Everything to lose
Should I ask myself in the water
What a warrior would do?
Tell me, underneath my armor
Am I loyal, brave and true?
Am I loyal, brave and true?
Losing is easy
Winning takes bravery
I am a tiger's fool
Out in the open
No one to save me
The kindest of whispers are cruel
Should I ask myself in the water
What a warrior would do?
Tell me, underneath my armor
Am I loyal, brave and true?
Am I loyal, brave and true?
Cold is the morning

Instruments

The instruments played in this song are the piano and guitar.  The chords are played in F minor, with a tempo of 135 and strumming at DU, DU, DU. The intro is played in Ab Bbm Fm Ab Bbm. This is definitely not for a beginner guitarist.  The piano chords are played in G#, A#m, Fm, Cm, C#, and D#. 

"Reflection"  (2020) from "Mulan"
Produced by Gregson-Williams. The original 1998 classic (animated Mulan) was written by David Zippel and Matthew Wilder.  
Released on September 4, 2020
Beat 
The beat in Reflection is a steady pulse. It is metrical and the time signature is 4/4 time. 

Timbre
The tonal color is has a combination of sounds, in which instruments are the piano, guitar, strings, shaker, flute, and drum kit.  The song has a single voice. The sound productions are traditional, blowing, bowing, and hitting. The keyboard is legato, the guitar is plucked, strings are bowed and legato, the shaker is short and single, the flute is blown and legato, the drum kit is the bass drum, and beat on the bridge. 

My opinion

I enjoyed this project. I never really learned the history of Mulan prior to this assignment. I was shocked at how far back this story comes from. It was also interesting to learn that it was a Northern Chinese beloved Ballad from the Northern Wei dating back to 386-591 AD. The beloved Ballad is how the story was passed on through all the generations to where it has come to make the motion pictures in 2020.  I personally enjoyed the animated Mulan and also enjoyed the live-action movie as well. This movie has so many themes and I definitely enjoy that no matter who you are or whether you are male or female, you can become anyone you want to become. You can fight the fight no matter what gender you are and never ever give up!

    Sources

3 comments:

  1. I really love how your blog post looks, it is very eye catching and aesthetically pleasing with the font and different colors. This was my favorite assignment so far because it gave me an excuse to go back and watch one of my favorite childhood movies. This was one of my favorites as well, and I had no idea it was sung by Christina Aguilera. I wonder how close the Disney movie is to the real story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie specifically does have many themes built inside and many lessons to learn. I have to agree with you saying that this movie and song does do a great job letting the watchers know that you are capable of anything you put your mind to no matter the sacrifice. You added a lot of information about the movie and the song which allowed me to gather a better understanding and be able to connect the sounds throughout the song to the actual movie. Mulan is definitely one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Final Project

  Music and Society      Music is played in the lives of everyone across the globe of all ages. It seems as though no one can go without mus...