Thursday, November 5, 2020

Role of the Performer

Barbara Joan Streisand

Biography

Barbara Joan Streisand of Brooklyn, New York was born on April 24, 1942. She shares a birthday with my two nephews! This was exciting to learn! Barbara didn't have an easy start in life. Her father died when she was about 4 months old. Her mom struggled to put food on the table and because of both these situations, she felt like an outcast.  She started singing at a very young age and was known as "the girl with a good voice" in her neighborhood. At school, she made her first debut at a PTA assembly meeting.  She performed for MGM when she was 9 years old, although unsuccessful, she did not give up.  Her continued singing has brought her to be a successful American singer, actress, and filmmaker over the last 6 decades. Wow, her years of success is beyond my age! She then started her career as an adult in the 1960s performing in night clubs, Broadway theaters and made a few appearances on some TV shows.  Barbara is one of the very few people who won an Emmy Award, Grammy Award, Oscar Award, and a Tony Award.  She signed up with Columbia Records and has been with Columbia Records her whole career.  

American Singer

Her first musical debut album came out in 1963, which is called "The Barbara Streisand Album", which won two Grammy Awards and also was Album of the Year.  Barbara holds the record for 11 albums being the Billboard 200 Charts. 5 of her singles were in the US Billboard Hot 100 and here is a song that made the Billboard at #1. She continues to be a successful singer to this day. 

The Way We Were (Live 1986)
Barbara Streisand - Artist
Released September 27, 1973, through Columbia Records
    Musical Elements
The song begins with the piano playing, very soft and gentle. The Way We Were is played in the Key of C Major. It is played at a tempo of 76 BPM metronome.
    Melody
The melody in this song is very calming and soft. As I listen to it, it really has a calming effect.  It is gentle enough to put you to sleep. 


     I've Dreamed of You
Lyrics by Ann Hampton Callaway
Music by Rolf Lovland
Released 1999

    Chords/Keys
The song is sung with chords and keys of C, F, G, Am, and Em at an expert level. 
    Melody
The melody in this song is very calming and soft just as in The Way We Were. As I listen to it, it really has a calming effect.  It is gentle enough to put you to sleep as well.


Acting Career

Barbara has acted in many, many movies and I was shocked that I didn't recognize her in a few movies she acted in within the last ten years. Meet the Fockers was one movie I was totally blown away that she acted in. She stared in many, many movies and continues to be a successful actor today.

My Opinion

I enjoyed learning about Barbara Streisand. I was actually shocked to see how many movies she has stared in.  I was also blown away at how successful she has been over the last 6 decades, especially for a female in the early 60s. She is definitely a role model for anyone that wants to achieve their dreams of becoming what they want to be in life no matter the difficult situations you face in life. She has proven to overcome life's obstacles that were thrown at her from such a very young age.  

Sources



2 comments:

  1. I'm not a super big fan of musicals and I really don't watch many movies anymore but, I love Streisand's voice and when I do watch the movies she is in I've always liked them. I had no idea that she has been so successful for so many years! Streisand is a very talented woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I had no clue I've seen her in so many movies. I never payed attention to her until I started reading about her and was in aww at the many movies she acted in and how many years she has been successful!

    ReplyDelete

Final Project

  Music and Society      Music is played in the lives of everyone across the globe of all ages. It seems as though no one can go without mus...