Sunday, December 6, 2020

Final Project

 Music and Society

    Music is played in the lives of everyone across the globe of all ages. It seems as though no one can go without music in their daily lives, whether it is the music we hear from the billboards, music we learned when we were toddlers, or music from our very own culture. Music helps us to predict what a person is going through or reveals about a person. According to Very Well Mind, "a persons playlist can reveal something about your personality." Very Well Mind also says, "your genre is based on your personality traits."

    Music connects people together and also makes an emotional connection. This emotional connection is sacred because no one else can feel the depth of your emotion connected to a certain song.  It can only be understood by yourself.  According to Belinda Huang, "Emotional Impact is probably the most identifiable and direct impact music has on people in society."  Music is soothing to the soul for every emotion and mood that I or we, the society or individual, is going through. Whichever emotion a person feels, that person tends to listen to the genre that resonates with their emotions. Everyone listens to different genres, and that is the beauty of music. There isn't just one genre; there is a lot out there for everyone to enjoy. Different music carries different messages, and each person interprets the lyrics differently in ways that relate to what that person is dealing with in their lives. Bryan Resnick, the author of The scientific mystery of why humans love music, says, "Our brain loves patterns." I find this interesting because I love music with a certain pattern or beat. He also states that "Studies have shown that when we listen to music, our brains release dopamine, which in turn makes us happy." I agree with him because when I am not feeling my best, I play some music to help soothe myself. 


Christian Rock

    One genre of music, in particular, is Christian Rock music. Wikipedia tells us that Christian Rock music is a form of rock music that features lyrics focusing on matters of Christian faith.  In the early 1950s and 1960s, Christians weren't in favor of rock music when it became popular with the younger generation. In the 1960s, The Crusaders album, With a Joyful Noise, was considered one of the first Christian Rock Bands. It wasn't until the 1990s that Christian Rock saw an increase in the genre. Christian Rock was once unaccepted by Christians, is now very popular, especially among the Evangelists. Among the many Christian Rock singers is the beautiful Lauren Daigle. 

Christian Rock Music Analysis


"You Say" 
Songwriters - Jason Ingram, Paul, Mabury and, Lauren Daigle
Producers - Jason Ingram and Paul Mabury
Recorded - 2018
Released - July 13, 2018
Label - Centricity - Warner Bros.

Piano Chords
    The piano chords are played at an F Major with a tempo of 74 beats per minute.

Vocal
    The vocal range spans from D3 to A4 throughout the song. 

Timbre
    The song starts off with a comforting beat of the piano playing, It is very gentle, and her vocal starts off very gentle as well for a whole minute. She then sings at a higher range, which sounds beautiful. Then comes the drums, which make this song even more beautiful  Then, for a few seconds, you can only hear vocal, with one key of the piano at a time, and flows back into her higher vocal range, piano, and the drums, ending the song with just the piano keys. 

    I really enjoy listening to this song. I think it is beautiful, and it had resonated with me when I was going through difficulty in my life. I didn't know who to turn to because I lost trust in one of the closest people I trusted. 


Music Analysis

"I Can Only Imagine"
Band - Mercy Me
Songwriter - Bart Millard
Producer - Pete Kipley
Recorded/Released - October 12, 2001 (Radio)
CD Released - Septebmer 23, 2003 

Piano Chords
    The piano chords are played at an E major and have a tempo of 80 beats per minute. 

Vocal
    The vocal range spans from the low note B3 to a high note of G#5. 

Lyrics
   I can only imagine what it will be like
    When I walk, by your side
    I can only imagine what my eyes will see
    When you face is before me
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine
    Surrounded by You glory
    What will my heart feel
    Will I dance for you Jesus
    Or in awe of You be still
    Will I stand in your presence
    Or to my knees will I fall
    Will I sing hallelujah
    Will I be able to speak at all
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine when that day comes
    When I find myself standing in the Son
    I can only imagine when all I would do is forever
    Forever worship You
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine
    Surrounded by Your glory
    What will my heart feel
    Will I dance for You, Jesus
    Or in awe of you be still
    Will I stand in your presence
    Or to my knees will I fall
    Will I sing hallelujah
    Will I be able to speak at all
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine hey ya ah
    Surrounded by Your glory
    What will my heart feel
    Will I dance for You, Jesus
    Or in awe of you be still
    Will I stand in Your presence
    Or to my knees will I fall
    Will I sing hallelujah
    Will I be able to speak at all
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine hey ya ah
    I can only imagine yeah yeah
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine ey ey ey
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine when all I will do
    Is forever, forever worship You
    I can only imagine

   
This is another song that has resonated with me, as my father has died of cancer, just as the songwriter's father died of cancer. When I watched the movie, I Can Only Imgaine, of Bart Millard and what he went through with his father, I cried. This brought up so many emotions of grief in me. Just as I stated, only you can understand the depth of the connection you make with a song and the different emotions that can surface just by listening to music. Music brings sad emotions, but it brings up emotions of romance, happiness, and can change your mood by the different genres. Depending on the way you feel, you choose the genre you listen to!


Personal Journey
    This class was definitely a beautiful learning experience. I was overwhelmed the first week of class, but I am so happy that I stuck it out. I've enjoyed music from a young age, and this class has made me understand more about the different music genres out there. I enjoyed each assignment, and my favorite was choosing our own music to analyze. Reading further into the music we enjoy makes it that much more interesting to learn why they wrote the song. Music is everywhere and will continue to be everywhere in life. Music will never fade away and I will enjoy music much more than I have before! Thank you, ~Hazel




Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project

  Music and Society      Music is played in the lives of everyone across the globe of all ages. It seems as though no one can go without mus...